There are three races with staggered start times:
1. Tybee River Race: 6 ½ miles on the tidal river separating Tybee and Little Tybee Islands; tests speed and endurance. BACK THIS YEAR: Join this race as a casual paddler not a racer. Paddle 2 miles for the cause (it’s like the walkers in a running race). If you don’t have a boat, add $20 to your fee and use one of ours.
2. Little Tybee Challenge: 8 miles, circumnavigates part of Little Tybee Island, passing through narrow tidal creeks, broad tidal rivers, open coastal areas, and two surf zones. Little Tybee Challenge racers should have rough water experience and be competent at self rescue. Your boat must be sea worthy in rough conditions. Deck lines highly recommended.
3. Race Across the River for Gold & Platinum Sponsors: Our Gold/ Platinum sponsors compete for a grand prize of a two- hour natural history trip for ten-plus people on Mike Neal’s boat, the Island Explorer, or a kayak adventure for up to 8 with Savannah Canoe and Kayak. Each of these sponsors selects one person (employed by the business or part of the group) to race a kayak (we provide) across the Back River and back to the marina.
Another way to support the Tybee Island Marine Science Center - be a race sponsor. Your registration fee is included, you get your name on the t-shirt and more - bronze sponsor $100; silver sponsor $250; gold $500; platinum $1000. Contact Debbie for more info on being a participant sponsor.
- The fee for the River Race & Little Tybee Challenge is $45 person; American Canoe Association member - $40. Subtract $10 if postmarked by Aug. 31, 2015.
- Sign-in for all 3 races is 7:30-8:15 a.m., followed by a brief orientation.
- All boats need proper flotation. Deck lines are highly recommended in the Little Tybee Challenge. All participants must wear PFDs.
- Participants receive a free 17th Annual Tybee Island Sea Kayak Races t-shirt & a raffle ticket for the drawing for the Perception kayak.
- Participants also get their name in the general raffle at the awards ceremony following the Race Across the River.
- ALSO BACK THIS YEAR General drawing for a Perception kayak, donated by Half-Moon Outfitters. Three ways to get tickets: 1. one ticket per registration 2. extra tickets for the race winners 3. purchase tickets 1 for $5 or 3 for $10. (And please help sell tickets if you can).
- Calling all Stand Up Paddleboarders for either the River Race or the Little Tybee Challenge. We are very excited this is the third year for the SUP category.
- KAYAK CLASSIFICATION will be based on a system originated by the Sound Rowers in Puget Sound and modified for the Blackburn Challenge. "Racing kayaks are classified into 1 of 3 categories based on waterline length to width ratio. Those boats with a L:W ratio less than 9.25:1 [but greater than 6.5:1] are in the Sea Kayak class (SK); between 9.25:1 to 11.5:1 are in the Fast Sea Kayak class (FSK); greater than 11.5:1 are in the High Performance Kayak class (HPK)." Identify your boat and we will place it in the proper category. Go to soundrowers.org for the list and more info. The 4th category is General Purpose boats (ratio less than 6.5:1). All categories will be awarded male/female, overall and masters (50 & over). Tandems will be open class.